WHAT TO VISIT in the MAJELLA NATIONAL PARK AND IN THE SURROUNDING AREAS OF FRONTEMAJA
Frontemaja enjoys a strategic geographical location, from which many of the region Abruzzo most interesting sites can easily be reached.
Find out what they are!
The Majella National Park, which includes the provinces of L'Aquila, Pescara and Chieti, is built around the massive mountains of Majella and Morrone to the west and the Pizi and Porrara mountains to the east. The park is home to an important landscape, cultural, historical and natural heritage and a tourist destination appreciated for its unspoiled beauty.
The park offers points of interest for all tastes: from the lover of trekking to the food and wine enthusiast, from the lover of history and fine arts to the religious tourist, the Majella reserves spectacular surprises to all.
What to see?
Here are the must-see of the Majella:
City of art among the things to see can not miss some beautiful towns that stand out for their cultural and artistic history::
- CHIETI (20 min drive – 20 km)
- PRETORO (11min drive – 7,9 km)
- GUARDIAGRELE (14 min drive – 11km)
- ABBEY OF SAN LIBERATORE IN SERRAMONACESCA (20 min drive – 12,4 km),• THE HERMITAGE OF SANT'ONOFRIO, TOMBS OF SAN LIBERATORE A MAJELLA, GORGES OF THE ALENTO RIVER
- PENNAPIEDIMONTE (20 min drive – 16km)
- FARA SAN MARTINO (37 min drive – 31 km), ABBEY OF SAN MARTINO IN VALLE, GORGES OF SAN MARTINO.
- LANCIANO (40 min drive – 31 km)
- FRANCAVILLA AL MARE (25 min drive – 24 km)
- PESCARA (30 min drive – 30 km)
- ORTONA (37 min drive – 33km)
- SAN VITO CHIETINO AND TRABOCCHI COAST (40 min drive – 40 km)
- FOSSACESIA (45 min drive – 45 km)
Hermitages: There are many religious architectures that dot the Majella Park, and are often of historical and cultural as well as spiritual importance. Among the most beautiful hermitages are S. Onofrio al Morrone, the Hermitage of St. Bartholomew in Legio, the Hermitage of St. John at the Orfento and the Hermitage of Holy Spirit. Nestled in the wild rocks of the park and surrounded by the silence of the Abruzzo landscape, they are the ideal destination for those who want to stop time and savour the deep spirituality that these lands can still give.
FURTHER LOCATIONS OF INTEREST
- Castello di Roccascalegna (45 min in auto – 36 km)
- Caramanico Terme (53 min in auto – 45 km) può essere una soluzione perfetta per un giorno all’insegna del relax, alla scoperta delle sorgenti termali naturali che scaturiscono in questa località
- Roccacaramanico (70 min in auto – 58 km) arroccato alle falde del Monte Morrone
- Sulmona (60 min in auto – 70 km) è un gioiello che mostra ancora i segni di tutte le civiltà che l’hanno abitata;
- Castello di Rocca Calascio (75 min in auto – 76 km)
- E molti altri…